In this episode of the Cubicle Renegade Podcast I sit down with Barrett Brooks, founder of Living for Monday to talk all about how to properly land a job or consulting gig you actually want. We cover the twelve steps you should follow to launch your career, directly from his course: Career Kickstarter. Things we talk about in this episode:
- How Barrett landed a well paying management consulting job directly out of college.
- Why he left that job behind to help others find careers that better suit them.
- The proper mindset for putting in the hard work and saying no more often.
- Determining your purpose/passion and how that relates to a potential job.
- How to define your values and strengths.
- Figuring out your ideal job description (without looking at job postings).
- How to get your resumé on top of the pile of hundreds.
- Ways to find the 60% of jobs that aren't advertised.
- Why you have to negotiate your job offers.
You can either watch the video below or listen to the audio of the whole interview.
(If you are reading this via email or RSS and can't see the video above, click here.)
Items mentioned in this episode:
- Living for Monday
- Career Kickstarter
- Strengths Finder 2.0 by Tom Rath [Book]
- Start with Why by Simon Sinek [Book]
- Good to Great by Jim Collins [Book]
- Danielle Laporte's "Do Any Work for a Year" (bullet #3)
- Ramit Sethi's Briefcase Technique
If you have enjoyed this or other episodes of The Cubicle Renegade Podcast I'd love for you to leave a review on iTunes.
Intro & Outro Music by Ratatat.